Following the South Caspian Pipeline Project with our Constellation

ILF Consulting Engineers is an engineering and consulting company specialised in helping customers to successfully execute complex industrial and infrastructure projects. In the frame of the SCPFX project (South Caspian Pipeline), the company contracted Airbus Defence and Space for the delivery of a set of geospatial data to assess the best routing options for a pipeline corridor in Azerbaijan and Georgia.

Airbus Defence and Space’s constellation capacity contributed to providing its long-term customer with a variety of datasets covering a total area of 2,189km² along the pipeline corridor.

Map of Area of Interest in Azerbaijan and Georgia

Map of Area of Interest in Azerbaijan and Georgia

The prompt delivery of SPOTMaps and Elevation30 data supported the rapid implementation of a preparatory study of the pipeline corridor.

Then, 834km² of 50cm Orthophotos, as well as 1m Elevation1 Digital Terrain Models were provided for the Area of Interest in Azerbaijan. In Georgia, the data was delivered covering 1,355km². For a subset of the corridor, 3D vector maps were extracted in stereo with a scale of 1:5,000. All these datasets were derived from VHR stereo imagery acquired by the Pléiades constellation.

Finally, Ground Control Points (GCPs) were captured and used to increase absolute accuracy in planimetry and elevation to help define the final plans of the pipeline project.

4 Resolutions to Suit the Customer’s Needs

30m: Elevation30 was used as a basis for morphological analysis. 2.5m: SPOTMAPS was used to verify the position of the current pipeline corridor. 1m: Elevation1 Digital Terrain Model was employed for in-detail modelling. 50cm: Pléiades Orthomosaic provided the source for final analysis and potential re-routing.

 

Elevation30 over the AoI in Azerbaijan (30m)

Elevation30 over the AoI in Azerbaijan (30m)

SPOTMaps over the AoI in Azerbaijan (2.5m)

SPOTMaps over the AoI in Azerbaijan (2.5m)

Elevation1 over the AoI in Azerbaijan (1m)

Elevation1 over the AoI in Azerbaijan

Pléiades Orthomosaic over the AoI in Azerbaijan (50cm)

Pléiades Orthomosaic over
the AoI in Azerbaijan (50cm)

3D Vector Map over the pipeline corridor

3D Vector Map over the pipeline corridor

 The accuracy of all Airbus Defence and Space products delivered exceeded the customer’s specifications and expectations! 

ILF Consulting Engineers - Logo

We would like to express our satisfaction concerning the products received from Airbus Defence and Space in the frame of the SCPFX project (South Caspian Pipeline). […] Airbus Defence and Space deliverables were compared with highly precise terrestrial in-situ measurements. For over 80% of the evaluated areas, all products (DTM, Orthophoto and VectorMaps) were far better than the requested specifications, showing an RMS of 50cm to 60cm in the elevation component. Whereas the RMS of the remaining 20% was around 1m, always staying within the project’s specifications.” 

ILF Consulting Engineers Austria