The SPOT images are sold at a reduced rate for purely scientific purposes or for activities demonstrating the use of satellite data for implementing Copernicus (formely GMES - Global Monitoring for Environment and Security).
Among these are:
- emergency management and risk prevention
- long-term management of natural resources (vegeatation, water, soil)
- land use and coastal change detection
- monitoring environmental stress and food security
- understanding global change
- monitoring compliance with international conventions (Kyoto protocol),
The data are also available for university students registered for graduate or post-graduate studies (DEA , DESS) subject to approval by CNES.